1. New tire retreading equipment acquired at a cost of $140000 at the beginning
of a fiscal year has an estimated useful life of four years and an estimated residual value of $10000. The manager requested information regarding the effect
of alternative methods on the amount of depreciation expense each year. On the
basis of the data presented to the manager the double-declining-balance method
In the first week of the fourth year the equipment was sold for $23300.
1. Determine the annual depreciation expense for each of the estimated four
years of use the accumulated depreciation at the end of each year and the
book value of the equipment at the end of each year by (a) the straight-line
method and (b) the double-declining-balance method. The following columnar
headings are suggested for each schedule:
Year Depreciation Expense Accumulated Depreciation End of Year Book value End of Year
2. Illustrate the effects on the accounts and financial statements of the sale.
3. Illustrate the effects on the accounts and financial statements of the sale
assuming a sale price of $15250 instead of $23300.
2. Data related to the acquisition of timber rights and intangible assets of Gemini
Company during the current year ended December 31 are as follows:
a. On December 31 Gemini Company determined that $3000000 of goodwill
b. Governmental and legal costs of $920000 were incurred by Gemini Company
on June 30 in obtaining a patent with an estimated economic life of 8 years.
Amortization is to be for one-half year.
c. Timber rights on a tract of land were purchased for $1350000 on March 6.
The stand of timber is estimated at 15000000 board feet. During the current
year 3300000 board feet of timber were cut and sold.
1. Determine the amount of the amortization depletion or impairment for the
current year for each of the foregoing items.
2. Illustrate the effects on the accounts and financial statements of the adjustments for each item.