Homework Assignment for Module 13
PLEASE USE THE LINKED VIDEOS AND ATTACHED FILES AS SOURCES TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Compare the life stories of the Historical Buddha and Jesus of Nazareth as depicted in the videos and the textbook.. Give three specific similarities and three 3 specific differences (aside from time and place which are a given and thus dont count as one -or two- of your three.) What do you think these similarities and differences tell us about World History?
2. What is an empire? Based on Strayer/Nelson and the Crash Course episodes weve viewed thus far compare the Roman and other Christian Empires with the Muslim empires. Be specific. Give at least 3 similarities and 3 differences.
3. What is Greens main point about the dark ages? Why does he say they were dark? Why/where does Green say they werent dark? What gets called dark?
4. Compose a timeline from Judaism to the Crusades with at least 7 key events on it. This could be in graphic form paragraph form or any other form that makes sense to you and me.
Discussion Prompt 11: Revisiting the BBC2 Documentary on the life of Muhammad. Please address the prompts below.
1.What two facts or concepts are you likely to remember from the film 5 years from now? (approximately 50 words)
2. Below you will find an example of an excellent answer to amore complicated questionon HW 10. Please read through the answer and then reply to it with the following questions: How did these excellent answers clarify difficult or confusing points in the film? Did these answers help solidify your knowledge of the film? Of the life of Muhammad? Of how to write excellent answers to homework questions? Be specific. (approximately 200 words)
The Muslim tradition gives a portrait of Mecca as this great trading city. However the archaeology and the records at the time dont back this up. Mecca if it existed was way off any trading routes and there was no mention of it at all before the Islamic era (18:40). Some historians believe that after Mohammeds death Muslim historians deliberately exaggerated the importance of Mecca. They did this to try and show that Mohammed was born in a rich and important city with its own history that wasindependent ofany Christian or Jewish influences. Regardless of whether Mecca was a major trading city at the time it was still a very important city to Mohammed and the entire religion of Islam.